7 Jul 2013

Story Openings 2

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Opening from 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville...

+++

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.

+++

Moby Dick is the story of Captain Ahab's quest for revenge on the whale that ‘reaped’ his leg. Among the ship's crew is Ishmael, the novel's narrator, ordinary sailor, and extraordinary reader.

In my Kernowland series, I have used a similar idea of revenge on an awesome beast being the driving force behind Captain Pigleg's obsession. The pirate leader seeks revenge on the great wild boar that took his leg. He will stop at nothing to achieve this end, including gathering a hold full of slavechildren to be used as bait on his quest.

You can find Moby Dick in the 'Jack's Favourite Books' section of my Reading Store.

For more Jack Trelawny ideas, resources, books, ebooks, audiobooks,
free school visits, and 'My Story House' workshops, go to
www.jacktrelawny.com and jacktrelawnyamazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment