7 Oct 2005

Ideas for kids - Collect pictures

Jack Trelawny's Story House - Ideas for kids - Collect pictures
When I first started visiting schools, a big question the children asked was, 'how do we get lots of ideas for stories?' Collecting pictures is one way that I have found works to make sure I have lots of ideas come in to my head when I'm writing. Pictures are everywhere, and, if you collect them all the time, you'll have a better chance of lots of ideas coming into your head when you're writing. I've got all sorts of pictures. I keep them in the 'Gallery' of my Story House.
In the Gallery I imagine there are different 'rooms', with names above the doors, such as People, Places, Things, and Events.
People
Places
Things (also called 'Objects')
Events
And, in each room, there are filing cabinets... so the People room has a cabinet for Children and a cabinet for Adults. Then there are cabinets for Heroes and Villains, and one for Pirates, and one for Warriors.
Of course, each cabinet has lots of drawers to contain all the pictures. Some pictures belong in more than one room or cabinet. That's fine, it's not a problem to store each picture in two, or three, or even more rooms.

Organising my pictures like this means I can store them in some sort of order and look them up quickly when I need ideas. If you can't store all the pictures, you could search for 'Images' on the computer using a search engine like Google. The main thing is to always be looking at pictures for story ideas.

See you next time in the Story House.

Happy writing... and reading!

Jack
Links...